Tuesday, May 27, 2014

I am no Foodie



I am just not a foodie. I love food don't get me wrong. I mean, I gotta eat. But I am not one of those people who loves to watch people cook on TV. I don't watch the Food Network. Ever. I don't subscribe to cooking magazines or food magazines. I've never actually bought a cookbook. All the cookbooks I have were given to me as gifts. I do love them. I have tried new recipes because of them. I just can not (or don't) spend a lot of time thinking about food. It used to drive me crazy when my husband would call me from work at 8:30 in the morning and ask, "What's for dinner?"!! Huh?!? I'm thinking, "I haven't had 2 cups of coffee yet! I don't know what I'm eating for breakfast yet! Or when!"

Now, my husband has always been an adventurous eater. I have watched cooking shows because HE watches cooking shows. Gordon Ramsey is a favorite. For him, eating is an occasion to be savored. Always. He will eat anything once. It never fails to surprise me that he will eat the fish soup at any Chinese restaurant. He'll have no idea what's in it but he orders it and eats it all.

I read once that people view food in one of 3 ways. The one I remember is the one that best described my view of food. It's fuel. That's it. I must eat. I must eat so I can run a good race, keep up with James and most importantly, stay alive!!!

I suspect James is like me in that way. We talk about the nutritional facts for any and all foods whether it be vegetables or junk food. We talk about the different types of sugar. The sugar in fruit or milk is much better for you than the sugar in Sour Patch Kids. Tonight, for example, I baked spaghetti squash...for the first time! I can't believe I am 43 and just now discovering spaghetti squash. Well, I looked up the nutritional value of it and shared it with James as it was cooking. Tons of vitamin A and potassium. A fraction of the calories of regular spaghetti from a box. And just as fun!!
                                            

James is clever. I think he realizes that I am more discriminating than his Dad when it comes to food and trying new things. Tonight as we sat to eat said spaghetti squash I reminded James that this was also MY first time eating it. We kept it simple. Salt and butter for flavor.  I didn't say much while I ate but then James said, "I like it because it doesn't taste like anything." I agreed, "Yeah. I think mine needs a little more salt" and reached for the sea salt grinder on the table. He responded with, "I think I want a little more salt too". Chris gave him one turn of the grinder over his squash.

I don't know the outcome of dinner at this point. He got sent to his room right before I had to run out the door to go to work. He was burping on purpose and slurping his milk. He would not even let the crab cakes I made sit on his plate. I am OK with that. He has been extremely consistent about not eating meat (except chicken nuggets). That is going to take some time.  He also turned up his nose at the green beans. So! Spaghetti squash for dinner!

Baby steps. Healthy attitude towards food. Those are my goals.

No comments: